Evans Nursing Scholarship
The William G. and Ruth T. Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarships
|2013 Evans Scholarship Recipients & Evans Family|
The William G. and Ruth T. Evans Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarships has been made possible through the generous contributions of Mrs. Ruth Evans who established the endowment in 2002. Dr. and Mrs. Evans understood the importance of a strong healthcare system. Dr. Evans was a family practice physician in Pennsylvania for 50 years, and Ruth was an army nurse during World War II. Dr. and Mrs. Evans moved to Ashland in 1998 to be near their daughters, Margaret and Barbara. Dr. Evans died in 2002.
Ruth Tucker Evans passed away on January 3, 2013 at the age of 96, leaving behind a bequest in excess of $2.2 million to the Ashland Community Hospital Foundation. The gift provided support to the Endowed Evans Nursing Scholarship, the Foundations Charity Care Endowment and the Asante Ashland Community Hospital Hospice program.
Mrs. Evans’ proudest accomplishment was establishing the Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarship through the Ashland Community Hospital Foundation. Since its creation in 2002, 71 nursing students have received 105 scholarships totaling $145,000.
“We thought the scholarships would be a good way to help young people with their education,” Ruth Evans said. “We had already established two funds through the Pittsburgh Foundation for college student scholarships and for medical professionals. We thought that limiting this scholarship to nurses would be a good idea. Nurses are quite scarce and will be needed badly in the future.”
The application deadline for the 2013-2014 academic year has now passed. Please check back in the spring of 2014 for next years deadline.
- To provide financial assistance by awarding scholarships to qualified students who are pursuing nursing degrees from Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) at Southern Oregon University (SOU) or Rogue Community College (RCC), and intend to work in the Rogue Valley.
- The standard scholarship award will be no less than $1,500.00 per academic year.
- Each scholarship award will be made for one academic year.
- Scholarship awards may be used only for tuition and other academic fees.
- Awards will be made based on the relative merits of each applicant.
- Funds will be sent directly to the school and earmarked for the recipient.
- Students may reapply each year of their nursing program by submitting a complete scholarship application.
Scholarship awards are considered for students who submit complete applications and meet the following criteria:
- Have been accepted to or are enrolled in a nursing degree program at OHSU (SOU) or RCC
- Are in need of financial aid to complete their education and training
- Are currently or will be full-time students
- Are in good academic standing
Applicants must apply online through our website. In addition to completing the online application form, applicants must provide the following documents:
Guide to Using our Online Application: :
- If the applicant has applied for financial aid through their college/university, attach the financial aid award letter.
- Two page maximum resume outlining, work and volunteer experience and education information.
- Essay (500 word limit) indicating why the applicant is pursuing the degree chosen and career plans upon achieving the degree.
- Essay (250 word limit) explaining the applicant's financial need.
- References from two people who have know the applicant for one year and are not relatives. One letter must be from a current or former instructor.
- Your application must be completed in a single sitting. You will not be able to save your application and return to it at a later time.
- You need to carefully follow the application instructions and complete all required fields.
- When uploading documents, you must use either PDF or Word (.doc or .docx) or text files.
- If you have uploaded incompatible file types or have filled the application out incorrectly your application may be rejected by the online system, and you will need to start the application process over.
- Before you submit your online application, you are strongly advised to print a copy for your records.
- Once you submit your application you will receive an email confirmation within 24 hours. If you do not receive an email confirmation then your application has not been received.