Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarship
The William G. and Ruth T. Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarships
The William G. and Ruth T. Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarship has been made possible through the generous contributions of Mrs. Ruth Evans who established the endowment in 2002. Dr. and Mrs. Evans understood the importance of a strong healthcare system. Dr. Evans was a family practice physician in Pennsylvania for 50 years, and Ruth was an army nurse during World War II. Dr. and Mrs. Evans moved to Ashland in 1998 to be near their daughters, Margaret and Barbara. Dr. Evans died in 2002.
Ruth T. Evans passed away on January 3, 2013 at the age of 96, leaving behind a bequest in excess of $2.5 million to the Ashland Community Hospital Foundation. The gift provided support to the Endowed Evans Nursing Scholarship, the Foundations Charity Care Endowment and Hospice.
Mrs. Evans’ proudest accomplishment was establishing the Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarship through the Ashland Community Hospital Foundation. Since its creation in 2002, 305 scholarships have been awarded to 240 nursing students in excess of $675,630.
“We thought the scholarships would be a good way to help young people with their education,” Ruth Evans said. “We had already established two funds through the Pittsburgh Foundation for college student scholarships and for medical professionals. We thought that limiting this scholarship to nurses would be a good idea. Nurses are quite scarce and will be needed badly in the future.”
In addition to the scholarships, the endowment also supports nursing students in the Licensed Practical Nursing Program at Rogue Community College. The endowment awards students in this program who graduate with funds to cover their licensing and exam fees, so they can move quickly into the workforce.
In addition to the scholarship, the endowment also supports nursing students in the Licensed Practical Nursing Program at Rogue Community College. The endowment awards students in this program who graduate with funds to cover their licensing and exam fees, so they can move quickly into the workforce.
- To provide financial assistance by awarding scholarships to qualified students who are pursuing nursing degrees from Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) Ashland Campus at Southern Oregon University (SOU) or Rogue Community College (RCC) and intend to work as a nurse in the Rogue Valley. Download our informational flyer.
Scholarship awards are considered for students who submit complete applications and meet the following criteria:
- Intend to work in the Rogue Valley as a nurse.
- Have been accepted to or are enrolled in an RN nursing degree program at OHSU Ashland Campus (SOU) or RCC.
- Are a second or third year nursing student (juniors and seniors), or accepted to the OHSU Accelerated Bachelor of Science program.
- Are currently or will be full-time students, as defined by their program.
- Are in good academic standing, with a nursing or prerequisite GPA of at least 3.0
Applicants must apply online through our website, and include the following:
- If the applicant has applied for financial aid through their college/university, attach the financial aid award letter, or SAR from their FAFSA.
- Two-page maximum resume that includes relevant and significant work and volunteer experience including employer, dates of employment or service and position. Also, educational institutions attended, including GPA.
- Signed references from two people who have known the applicant for a minimum of one year and are not friends or relatives. One letter must be from a prerequisite instructor or nursing instructor. Both letters must be dated for the current calendar year.
- A limited number of scholarship awards will made per academic year.
- Each scholarship award will be made for one academic year.
- Scholarship awards may be used only for tuition and other academic fees.
- Awards will be made based on the relative merits of each applicant.
- Funds will be sent directly to the school and earmarked for the recipient.
- Past recipients will need to reapply each year of their nursing program by submitting a complete scholarship application.
Submitting the Application:
- Applicants are advised to review the Helpful Hints prior to completing their application or contacting our office with questions.
- Applicants should carefully read and follow the application instructions and complete all required fields.
- The application must be completed in a single sitting. Applicants will not be able to save the application and return to it at a later time.
- Once you submit your application you will receive an email confirmation within 24 hours. If you do not receive an email confirmation, please contact our office at (541) 482-0367 Ext. 2.