Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarship
The William G. and Ruth T. Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarships
The William G. and Ruth T. Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarships has been made possible through the generous contributions of Mrs. Ruth Evans who established the endowment in 2002. Dr. and Mrs. Evans understood the importance of a strong healthcare system. Dr. Evans was a family practice physician in Pennsylvania for 50 years, and Ruth was an army nurse during World War II. Dr. and Mrs. Evans moved to Ashland in 1998 to be near their daughters, Margaret and Barbara. Dr. Evans died in 2002.
Ruth Tucker Evans passed away on January 3, 2013 at the age of 96, leaving behind a bequest in excess of $2.5 million to the Ashland Community Hospital Foundation. The gift provided support to the Endowed Evans Nursing Scholarship, the Foundations Charity Care Endowment and the Asante Ashland Community Hospital Hospice program.
Mrs. Evans’ proudest accomplishment was establishing the Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarship through the Ashland Community Hospital Foundation. Since its creation in 2002, 161 nursing students have received 209 scholarships totaling $451,000.
“We thought the scholarships would be a good way to help young people with their education,” Ruth Evans said. “We had already established two funds through the Pittsburgh Foundation for college student scholarships and for medical professionals. We thought that limiting this scholarship to nurses would be a good idea. Nurses are quite scarce and will be needed badly in the future.”
- To provide financial assistance by awarding scholarships to qualified students who are pursuing nursing degrees from Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) Ashland Campus at Southern Oregon University (SOU) or Rogue Community College (RCC), and intend to work in the Rogue Valley.
Scholarship awards are considered for students who submit complete applications and meet the following criteria:
- Have been accepted to or are enrolled in a nursing degree program at OHSU Ashland Campus (SOU) or RCC.
- Are in need of financial aid to complete their education and training.
- Are currently or will be full-time students, as defined by their program.
- Are in good academic standing.
Applicants must apply online through our website, and include the following:
- If the applicant has applied for financial aid through their college/university, attach the financial aid award letter, or SAR from their FAFSA.
- Two page maximum resume that includes relevant and significant work and volunteer experience including employer, dates of employment or service and position. Also, educational institutions attended, including GPA.
- Signed references from two people who have know the applicant for a minimum of one year and are not friends or relatives. One letter must be from a prerequisite instructor or nursing instructor.
- A limited number of scholarship award will made per academic year.
- Each scholarship award will be made for one academic year.
- Scholarship awards may be used only for tuition and other academic fees.
- Awards will be made based on the relative merits of each applicant.
- Funds will be sent directly to the school and earmarked for the recipient.
- Students may reapply each year of their nursing program by submitting a complete scholarship application.
Submitting the Application:
- Applicants are advised to review the Helpful Hints prior to completing their application or contacting our office with questions.
- Applicants should carefully read and follow the application instructions and complete all required fields.
- The application must be completed in a single sitting. Applicants will not be able to save the application and return to it at a later time.
- Once you submit your application you will receive an email confirmation within 24 hours. If you do not receive an email confirmation please contact our office at (541) 201-4019.